Thursday, August 31, 2006

Is a firefighter's work worth so little? 400 years to equal 5 months for a pitcher

It is reprehensible that a firefighter or police officer has to work two full time jobs to support his or her family! I am a firefighter/EMT for the Houston Fire Department, the third largest fire department in America. At a second year firefighter's salary, I would have to work for FOUR HUNDRED YEARS (400 years) to equal what Roger Clements will make for playing the remaining part of this season (5 months). There is no excuse! This week I will work 138.5 hours for 2 different fire departments, and I will be off work for only 29.5 hours. I typically work 96 hours a week. I have a 3 month old son and can't spend time with him because the city doesn't feel we deserve to make enough money to support our families on one income. As such either I must work two or more jobs, or my wife must work instead of being a stay at home mom. The city government isn't the only one to blame. The tax payers don't want to spend the extra money. They figure "the service is already there, and will always be there, so why pay more for it". My department made 550,000 Fire and EMS calls in 2001, and this number has increased every year since, especially after Katrina and Rita. Have I not put myself in enough jeopardy, seen enough blood, spent enough time injured, or been to enough firefighter funerals to have earned a decent wage for my work? Evidently, I have not. If you do not agree that your civil servants are under paid then please tell me why we haven't earned it? Tell me why I haven't earned it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home