Thursday, August 31, 2006

I'm no coward! Can you say the same?

Failure of an individual to get involved and help where help is needed, particularly in an instance where human life is at stake is sometimes referred to as Genovese Syndrome, or the Bystander Effect. Kitty Genovese was a young lady who was murdered in New York with no fewer than 38 witnesses to her murder. None of which got involved save yelling from their windows at the attacker to leave her alone, until after she was dead. This attack lasted approximately 35 minutes and actually included three separate attacks. The third of these attacks being the fatal one. Had someone elected to intervene or at a minimum get involved enough to call the police before the third attack Genovese may still be alive to this day. Criminologists argue that such passivity is a result of cultural emphasis on individualism, or a common expectation that "someone else" will intervene. Others believe that simple cowardice is another explanation of passivity. The fact is it is our duty to get involved because if everyone feels "it's someone else's problem" then no one will get involved, there will not be a "someone else".

I once nearly went to jail on 4 counts of Felony "assault on a minor". Why? Because I like to pick on little kids? No! These "minors" were 16 and 17 and I had only recently turned 18. Why the charges? The charges were because one of these cowards had assaulted a lady in my presence. I got involved, got her away and, though not a prudent decision, squared off with these 4 persons. The end result, the young lady was safe.

I in no way intend to imply that this makes me something special, as I know it does not. I was fortunate that the Judge who sat for my case agreed with the notion that it is our duty as the "good guy" to intervene, where we can and to help those less capable of helping themselves. I can sleep at night because I am willing to sacrifice for the greater good. Now ask yourself. Are you? Remember your answer when you read my "We are only the good guys when we do our duty" blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home